Tips for New Parents
Bringing your new baby home is one of the most exciting moments in a new parent’s life, but there are a few tips you must keep in mind to ensure their safety.
Placement of the crib
- Should be a safe distance away from any window or furniture.
- Should be away from all cords (blinds, electrical cords)
Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
- Have a working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
- If an alarm goes off, grab your baby and exit the house right away.
- Call 911 and do not re-enter the house until the fire department says it is safe.
- If your baby becomes drowsy or abnormally fussy, seek medical attention right away.
Car Seat Installation
- Choose a car seat that is the right size for your child
- Read your car seat’s manual and car manual to ensure it is installed correctly
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that infant car seats should be rear facing until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by the car seat manufacturer.
Items in your baby’s crib
- Crib should contain a firm mattress and fitted sheet only
- Do not place blankets or stuffed animals in the crib
- Infants should be placed on their back for naps and bedtime
Water heater temperature
- Set your water heater no higher than 120 degrees to avoid the risk of burns.
- Test water temperature by placing your elbow into the bath water.
For more information and resources, please visit https://www.safekids.org/