Parents who take great care to child-proof their home may be overlooking every day household items that pose a risk of poisoning. Ann Slattery is the director of the Regional Poison Control Center at Children’s of Alabama. She says parents need to watch out for what she calls “look-a-like” products.
For instance, a child may think a bottle of pine cleaner looks like a bottle of apple juice or a bottle of all-purpose cleaner looks like a sports drink. There has also been an increase in poisonings due to detergent pods. The bright colors can cause a child to mistake it for a piece of candy. Experts say it’s best to use traditional detergent if you have a child under 6 years old in the home.
Slattery says the Regional Poison Control Center at Children’s of Alabama received more than 42,000 calls in 2016. Many of those calls were associated with household look-a-like items. She encourages parents to look around their home for items that may be mistaken for food or drink. And remember, just because an item has child-resistant packaging doesn’t always mean its child-proof.
Slattery says the risk doesn’t only apply to children. “Adults may unintentionally get into these products, not realizing what they are,” she says. “In some cases, it could be dark and they reach for the wrong bottle.” Accidental poisoning may also occur when an individual suffers from dementia. “All household cleaning products should be kept out of sight and out of reach. Ideally, these products should be in a cabinet with a child-resistant closure,” Slattery advises.
The Regional Poison Control Center at Children’s of Alabama is available 24/7/365 for poison advice for all ages. The number is 1-800-222-1222. Slattery recommends parents store the number in their cell phones for easy access.